AutPlay Therapy was created by Dr. Robert Jason Grant and is a play and behavioral therapy approach to working with children and families affected by autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, neurodevelopmental disorders, dysregulation issues, and other developmental disabilities. It combines the therapeutic approaches of play therapy and behavioral therapy together in a collaborative model to assist children and adolescents in gaining needed skills and abilities. AutPlay Therapy is a combination of behavioral and developmental methodology that is both therapist-led and parent-led.
AutPlay® Therapy addresses six target areas:
- Increasing Emotional Regulation Ability
- Increasing Social Skills Development
- Increasing Connection (Relationship Development)
- Improving Sensory Challenges
- Decreasing Anxiety levels
- Addressing Behavioral Issues
AutPlay Therapy incorporates a combination of structured play therapy interventions with behavioral therapy approaches to teach children skill development in the areas of emotional regulation, social functioning, and relationship connection. When children can learn to self regulate, possess social skills that relate to the environments they are asked to function in, and learn appropriate and meaningful relationship connection, they are less likely to have behavioral issues and more likely to function in their day-to-day environment successfully.
Visit the AutPlay Therapy website for more information and resources →
AutPlay Therapy incorporates a parent training component which teaches parents how to conduct AutPlay techniques at home. Parents learn the procedures and techniques and are shown how to implement techniques at home to increase skill and ability levels in their child. AutPlay Therapy involves both the child and the parent in the therapeutic process and uses a play therapy base that is not only a natural language of the child but enables the parent to be involved with their child in a way that teaches skills and increases abilities within a fun and connecting process.
AutPlay Therapy provides a screening and assessment process to evaluate where a child’s level is in terms of basic functioning and skill level in emotional regulation and social functioning. This procedure allows the therapist to direct specific play therapy techniques to address each individual child’s skill deficits. AutPlay Therapy is appropriate for children and adolescents with an autism disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, dysregulation issues, neurodevelopmental disorders, and developmental disabilities from severe to mild impairment. AutPlay is appropriate for children and adolescents ages 3-18.
Single case study designs have shown that children and adolescents that participate in AutPlay Therapy for 6 months, one time per week, show a gain in skill development in the three target areas of AutPlay; emotional regulation, social skills, and relationship connection. Parent rating scales also support an increase in emotional regulation ability, social skills, and relationship connection for children and adolescents who have been participating in AutPlay Therapy for at least 6 months, one time per week.
Certification Training for Professionals
Professionals can become certified in AutPlay Therapy by completing certification requirements. AutPlay Certification is appropriate for Registered Play Therapists, Licensed Professional and Mental Health Counselors, Licensed Clinical Social Workers, Licensed Psychologists, Occupational Therapists, Speech and Language Pathologists, School Counselors, Special Education Teachers, and any professionals in mental health, education, and medical fields working with children and adolescents with autism disorders and other developmental disabilities.
Benefits of Becoming a Certified AutPlay® Therapy Provider:
1) Knowledgeable in a comprehensive approach to using Play Therapy to treat children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder.
2) Expanded services and growth of one’s practice.
3) Advance professional careers by demonstrating specific knowledge of autism spectrum disorder.
4) Opened doors for public speaking, presentations, and publications about autism spectrum disorder and Play Therapy.
5) Added confidence and excitement in the daily work of treating children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder.
6) Continual support and maintenance of professional certification from Robert Jason Grant Ed.D.
7) AutPlay Therapy certification is a lifetime certification.
8) Certified Providers name and contact information are always displayed on the AutPlay Therapy website and a social media press release is provided for all new providers.
9) Certified Providers receive a free copy of the AutPlay Therapy Training Materials and Nuts and Bolts of Autism book.
10) Training hours are applicable for continuing education for NBCC (Certified Counselor), APT (Registered Play Therapist), and IBCCES (Certified Autism Specialist and Autism Certificate) credentials.
Note: If you are interested in becoming a registered play therapist or registered play therapist supervisor, please visit the Association for Play Therapy website. If you are interested in becoming a Certified Autism Specialist or obtaining the Autism Certificate credential, please contact IBCCES for more information.
What professionals are saying
“The AutPlay techniques are easy to follow and use for any child or adolescents. The children I have used the techniques with love them; they ask to do them again and again!”
– Sherry Dotts MS, LPC, NCC, RPT-S (Owner-D&D Counseling)
“Good information! I like all the AutPlay techniques compiled into something that works well for children with autism. Therapist are given specific techniques that can be used for children with autism, this is something any therapist would like. I’m impressed!”
– Barb Hylton MS, LPC, RPT-S (Owner-CC Counseling Services)
“What a great training! It is packed with information and techniques for kids with autism and neurodevelopmental disorders. I would highly recommend this training to parents and colleagues!”
AutPlay Non-Contact Correspondence Certification:
- You may complete the AutPlay Therapy non-contact, home based, correspondence training worth 16 CE Hrs.
- Participants will receive and read the AutPlay Therapy book, Nuts and Bolts book, PowerPoint, and complete a post exam that will be sent back to Robert Jason Grant Ed.D AutPlay Therapy Clinic. Participants can register for the correspondence AutPlay training at any time on our Correspondence Trainings page.
AutPlay In-Person Certification:
- You may complete an in-person, contact AutPlay Therapy training worth 16 CE Hrs. In person trainings are facilitated by Dr. Robert Jason Grant..
- In person certification is obtained by registering for and attending one of our contact trainings. Visit our In Person Trainings page for to see upcoming in person AutPlay trainings.
Host a Training: If you would like to facilitate a certification training in your area, please contact us by phone at 417-755-9042 or [email protected].